The following list describes the essential duties of this role. Individuals in this role may not perform all of these duties, or may perform additional, related duties not listed here.
• Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; assisting patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls, and providing pertinent information.
• Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include advising business manager of the need to send medical records, receives medical records that have been requested; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
• Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocols; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control; cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies with the exception of vaccines; and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
• Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
• Fulfills clinical medical assisting responsibilities that within scope of practice as described by nurse practice act, which may include medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving; checking vital signs ; physical examination preparations; clinical pharmacology; drug administration through various routes including injections; prescription verifications with physician’s orders; minor surgery assists including surgical tray set-up pre/post-surgical care, applying dressings, and suture removal; biohazard waste disposal and monitoring; therapeutic modalities; instructing patients with assistive devices, body mechanics, and home care; laboratory procedures including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines; quality control methods; CLIA-waived testing; capillary punctures and venipuncture; specimen handling such as urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum; electrocardiography including mounting, emergency triage, and first aid. Medical assistants must adhere to the MA scope of practice in the laboratory.
• Primary contact for all oxygen needs. Not limited to, Jaysec, oxygen ordering company, working one on one with Apria rep or other oxygen companies.
• Providing patient education one on one with Pulmonology patients.